Mentoring for Artists
Mentoring originated from Greek mythology, in which Mentor was a wise and trusted advisor to Odysseus. Under Mentor’s direction and guidance, Telemachus, the son of Odysseus, became a much-loved ruler. Today, a mentor is an advisor and supporter, and perhaps even a friend and role model, of someone pursing specific goals.
Because people have different goals and life experiences, mentoring isn’t a science. Instead, it requires the mentor to carefully assess each case and to respond accordingly and effectively.
A mentoring workshop is not just about advanced instruction. It’s an opportunity for the serious painter to address issues that are bigger than mere craft. As you work shoulder-to-shoulder with an experienced professional who gladly coaches, motivates and shares wisdom, you may:
- Give your art a mid-course correction
- Create an action plan for the future
- Define where your career is headed
Or, if you just want to paint with a “guide” without reevaluating your life, you can do that, too!
Michael offers two kinds of mentoring:
- A private, one-on-one “painting intensive” at his studio in New Mexico. This program also offers lodging and meals. For full details, click this link.
- Distance mentoring. For this, Michael will work with you via e-mail, video conferencing or telephone. After a consultation, he’ll customize a program just for you. You need to be able to submit high-quality images via the Internet. Cost is $50/hour with a minimum of 3 hours. For details and current availability, contact Michael.